Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Truckee, CA, you are going to quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying medical vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Truckee, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a training program, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fits all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you will learn about the full variety of competencies needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison to other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary greatly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training courses can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household are frequently pushed aside as students continue their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last thing that you should look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Truckee, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Psychology, Marital and Family Therapy Specialization
- Psy.D. Clinical Psychology
- Psy.D. Applied Clinical Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administered by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will contain quite a few forms to fill out. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs which can be totally different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with infants who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have many instances of moving patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Truckee, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Truckee, CA reviewed by Landon SCOTT on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.