When you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Tullahoma, TN, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 yearly making it right there with the highest paying health care careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tullahoma, TN
The first step towards a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to decide on a training program, make sure that you examine all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that fulfills all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured you will learn about the full variety of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health conditions and disorders making it crucial that your schooling is very diversified and not too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often times pushed aside as students undertake their education and online classes can provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue that you have to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Tullahoma, TN
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Occupational Therapy Assistant - Associate of Applied Science
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Tennessee, licensing is controlled by the Tennessee Board of Occupational Therapy & Physical Therapy Examiners. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that is going to contain numerous forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs which may be totally different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age woman with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as you will have many instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Tullahoma, TN that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Tullahoma, TN reviewed by Ethan WILLIAMS on June 2.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.