As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Twentynine Palms, CA, you are going to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying health care vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Twentynine Palms, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to pick a training program, you will need to examine all of your alternatives and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders therefore it is very important that your course work is very extensive instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another very important variable you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual practical training when compared to the other training programs. In cases where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of your class will vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some people online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones will often be pushed aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue you want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Twentynine Palms, CA
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mostly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is administrated by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the crime may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include numerous forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy web sites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a variety of patients who may have needs which may be different the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will encounter numerous instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Twentynine Palms, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Twentynine Palms, CA reviewed by Isaac KING on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.