When you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Vallejo, CA, you can expect to soon find that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U .S . Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistantwage is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it amongstthe highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vallejo, CA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a school, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school thatsatisfies all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you will be taught the full array of competencies required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders so it is important that yourtraining is very diverse rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another important feature you should think about is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schoolscommit significantly more time on your actual clinical experiencecompared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of can varyconsiderably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones tend to be pushed aside as students undertake their schooling and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you need to have a look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their opinions were , and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Vallejo, CA
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year beingmainly class-room training and with the second year spent doinghands on learning in a medical center or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take involves pediatrics , gerontology,medical jargon , and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simplywant a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapistlaunched their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers will need tobecome certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In California, licensure is controlled by the Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of themand can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant license has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the crime may be assessedand be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to includemany forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many reputable sites . It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through thepaper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcriptsrequired ; notarized signatures and several States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needswhich may be completely different than from the previous patient . You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills , a couple of the basics such as following direction , keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, since you will encountermany instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Vallejo, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vallejo, CA reviewed by Hunter PHILLIPS on June 9.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.