Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Venice, FL, you will soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Venice, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy School. There are at the moment nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to select a school, it is very important to think about all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Things You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders therefore it is imperative that your training is very diverse instead of too focused on one particular area of specialization.
Another important feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not investing large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to consider is the class size. The size of your class may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many of us online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often pushed aside as students undertake their training and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last detail you ought to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Venice, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Associate of Science in Physical Therapist Assistant
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being predominantly classroom instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to begin their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain many forms to submit. You should not pay for these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is advised to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will want you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who may have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You may be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be relatively physically fit, because you will have plenty of instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Venice, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Venice, FL reviewed by Stella SPENCER on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.