As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Vero Beach, FL, you will probably soon learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying medical occupations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vero Beach, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to decide on a school, make sure that you evaluate all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your requirements.
Things You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain that you will learn about the full array of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of health conditions and disorders making it essential that your training is very extensive rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important variable you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience compared to other schools. In cases where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many of us online training courses can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often times driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you need to consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Vero Beach, FL
- Gain Knowledge and Skills While You Earn Your Nursing Degree at Fortis!
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Mental Health Technology
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Prepare for a Career in Massage Therapy, Makeup Artistry, or Skin Care!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? Consider a career in massage therapy, makeup artistry, or skin care.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on learning in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is controlled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among many of them and can include the following.
A person applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider approving an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include numerous forms to complete. Never spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who may have needs that will be different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because there will be many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Vero Beach, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vero Beach, FL reviewed by Maya GARDNER on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.