Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Vidalia, GA, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 annually making it right there with the highest paying healthcare vocations that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vidalia, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a school, make sure that you evaluate all of your options and make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your needs.
Items You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain that you will be taught the full array of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders making it important that your training is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important factor you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training as compared to other schools. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online courses can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family are sometimes driven aside as students carry on their education and learning and online classes can offer some flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor that you should consider before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their reviews were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Vidalia, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals.
Keiser University is a private, not-for-profit university.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being predominantly class-room instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is handled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
Any individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to contain several forms to fill out. Never purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many legitimate sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs which are often totally different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a few of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because there will be several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Vidalia, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Vidalia, GA reviewed by Isabella GRAHAM on June 12.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.