After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Wakefield, MA, you will soon discover that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this particular field to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wakefield, MA
The first step towards a career as an OTA is finding the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to pick a training program, it is very important to evaluate all of the options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your needs.
Details You Must Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you are going to learn about the full variety of techniques necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very diverse instead of too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should look at is the clinical teaching experience. This is the practical training, it is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some online classes can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and loved ones are oftentimes driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final detail you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Wakefield, MA
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is about 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Massachusetts, licensing is administrated by the Massachusetts Board of Registration Allied Health Professions Division of Professional Licensure. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit which will contain numerous forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many reputable internet sites. It is recommended to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs which are often very different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be plenty of instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Wakefield, MA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wakefield, MA reviewed by Kerry HOWARD on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.