As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Warren, PA, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is over $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Warren, PA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in to choose a training program, you might want to evaluate all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be certain you will be taught the full range of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide array of conditions and disorders therefore it is really important that your training is very diversified and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature you must consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is where you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual practical training compared to other training programs. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are considering. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for some people online training can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and loved ones are frequently pushed aside while students carry on their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last issue that you have to check out prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure that you find out how many people graduate from the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Warren, PA
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Professional Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- M.S. in Christian Counseling of Substance Abuse and Addictive Disorders
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
WELCOME TO KAPLAN UNIVERSITY
Online Education That Fits Your Life
For 80 years, we’ve been preparing students for career success. We’ve led the wayso that our students can too.
Globally Renowned Purdue to Acquire Kaplan University
Purdue University, one of the nation's most respected universities, will acquire Kaplan University and create a new, nonprofit, public institution within the Purdue system. Pending regulatory approvals, this exciting transition is expected to take place later this year. This change will be seamless—during the transition, you will still be able to enroll at Kaplan University, earn a high-quality education, and meet your educational and career goals.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Pennsylvania, licensing is handled by the Pennsylvania State Board of Occupational Therapy Education and Licensure. Although each State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that is going to include numerous forms to complete. Do not pay for these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many legitimate internet sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a number of different patients that have needs which are often very different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient facility with toddlers that happen to have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and employing the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be several instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Warren, PA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Warren, PA reviewed by Bryson GONZALES on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.