After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Warrensburg, MO, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Warrensburg, MO
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a school, you might want to consider all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that fits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to learn about the full array of skills necessary to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of issues and disorders therefore it is really important that your schooling is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another very important component to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual practical training as compared to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Something else to also consider is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some online training can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family are often pushed aside while students undertake their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The last item you might like to have a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Warrensburg, MO
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly two years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to begin their careers must become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Missouri, licensing is administrated by the Missouri State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and can include the following.
Someone attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing kit that will contain several forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs that will be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, as you will encounter plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Warrensburg, MO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Warrensburg, MO reviewed by Lily MCDONALD on June 9.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.