Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Wasilla, AK, you will probably soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is over $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying medical professions that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wasilla, AK
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time approximately two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a training program, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health concerns and disorders making it imperative that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In instances where your training program is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online training can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are sometimes pushed aside while students continue their education and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final thing that you should evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Wasilla, AK
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mainly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on training in a medical facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that most Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers must become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In AK, licensing is controlled by the Alaska Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy Board. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among many of them and can include the following.
Someone applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and needs to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time period and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that will include a number of forms to fill out. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will need you to complete a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs that could be different the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient facility with children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and employing the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, since you will encounter several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Wasilla, AK that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wasilla, AK reviewed by Sophie NICHOLS on June 6.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.