After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Watauga, TX, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the best paying health care jobs that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Watauga, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and select a training program, you will need to examine all of your alternatives to make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured you will learn about the full range of techniques needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders making it important that your course work is very diversified rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another significant feature to take under consideration is the clinical education experience. This is the practical training, and this is when you actually interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family can be driven aside as students undertake their education and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last factor you should look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many people complete the program, what their opinions were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Watauga, TX
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year being mainly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a healthcare facility or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will have to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, healthcare terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is administrated by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and can include the following.
An individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include a number of forms to fill out. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very detailed look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will want you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients which have needs that will be very different than from the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient facility with kids who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and implementing and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Watauga, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Watauga, TX reviewed by Freddy GRAHAM on June 12.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.