After you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Waynesboro, VA, you are going to quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it among the best paying medical careers that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Waynesboro, VA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy School. There are currently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and pick a school, it is very important to examine all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders therefore it is important that your training is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another really important component you should think about is the clinical teaching experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical training when compared to other schools. In cases where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical teaching, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class may vary considerably from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many people online courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and household will often be pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes can provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you ought to look at prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Always find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Waynesboro, VA
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Experience world-class education online: Purdue Global offers 180 programs at associate's, bachelor's, master's and doctoral levels
- Courses taught by highly respected faculty members who are experts in their fields
- Competency-based ExcelTrack™ Programs may allow you to earn your degree faster and for less money
- Full range of student services: individual educational advising, hands-on learning through interactive online classroom, no-cost tutoring in math, science and writing
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to begin their careers must become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Virginia, licensing is administered by the Virginia Advisory Board on Occupational Therapy. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the crime may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will contain many forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients who have needs which are often completely different than from the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient facility with small children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has numerous job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, because you will have several instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Waynesboro, VA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Waynesboro, VA reviewed by Gavin CARTER on June 11.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.