Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Weatherford, TX, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Weatherford, TX
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and pick a school, it is important to think about all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured that you will learn about the full range of competencies needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of health concerns and disorders so it is important that your schooling is very diverse instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical teaching experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools allocate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience in comparison with other schools. In cases where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to also consider is the class size. The size of your class can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online classes can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household are oftentimes driven aside while students continue their schooling and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The last detail you need to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many people graduate from the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Weatherford, TX
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Learn how you can make a difference in the Human Services field with a degree from Post
- 100% online Human Services BS degree
- Find concentrations in Counseling, Management, Psychology & more
- Ranked in the Best Online Bachelor’s Programs by the US News & World Report
- Post University earned the 2017 Military Spouse Friendly School® designation
- B.S. in Human Services / Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Alcohol & Drug Counseling
- Graduate Certificate in Professional Counseling
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
Our programs are focused and centered on empowering you with the skills you need to enter the expanding and rewarding Health Care Industry. Learn only what you need to gain employment in your particular field, so you can get certified and enter the job market faster.
- Physical Therapy Technician Certificate
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Texas, licensing is handled by the Texas Executive Council of PT & OT Examiners. Though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate is required to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and must have taken and completed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will include a number of forms to fill out. Do not buy these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trustworthy websites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients which have needs which are often very different the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with young children who may have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most current techniques and learning and using the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, since there will be many instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Weatherford, TX that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Weatherford, TX reviewed by Isabella GRAHAM on June 9.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an OTA.