As you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in West Linn, OR, you will quickly discover that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 annually making it amongst the highest paying healthcare professions that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in West Linn, OR
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in to choose a school, be sure that you think about all of the options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Things You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be certain that you are going to learn about the full range of techniques required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders so it is imperative that your course work is very diverse rather then too dedicated to one particular discipline.
Another really important factor you should consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, and this is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate substantially more time on your actual clinical training in comparison to other schools. In situations where your school is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are researching. Bear in mind, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with the trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training courses can relieve some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family members are often driven aside while students undertake their schooling and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you want to evaluate before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are considering. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in West Linn, OR
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being mostly classroom instruction and with the second year spent going through hands on lessons in a medical facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Oregon, licensing is administrated by the Oregon Occupational Therapy Licensing Board. Though each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and can include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. A number of States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include numerous forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will require you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients which have needs that will be different compared to the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children who have food or texture aversions or a hospital treatment facility working with a middle age patient with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since there will be several instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near West Linn, OR that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in West Linn, OR reviewed by Al PRICE on June 4.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.