Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Westminster, CO, you will quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 annually making it among the best paying medical-related jobs that does not require a University Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Westminster, CO
The first step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a training program, it is important to think about all of your alternatives and make certain you choose an Occupational Therapy training program that satisfies all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain you will learn about the full array of techniques necessary to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of ailments and disorders therefore it is important that your course work is very diversified rather then too concentrated on a particular discipline.
Another significant factor to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit considerably more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to others. In cases where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for many people online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Job and family members are often pushed aside while students carry on their training and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final issue you might like to examine prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many trainees graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Westminster, CO
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own rules and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Colorado, licensing is controlled by the Office of Occupational Therapist Registration. Although each State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed appropriate college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the transgression may be examined and be considered to grant licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit that is going to include many forms to complete. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trusted internet sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. You might have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs that may be totally different the previous patient. You might be working in an outpatient facility with young children that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since you will have numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Westminster, CO that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Westminster, CO reviewed by Abigail COLE on June 15.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.