After you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Weston, WI, you can expect to quickly realize that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually making it amongst the best paying health care jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Weston, WI
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and choose a training program, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be confident that you will learn about the full range of competencies necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of issues and disorders so it is imperative that your training is very wide-ranging and not too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another really important variable you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, and this is when you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience when compared to the others. In cases where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary greatly from school to school. Make sure that you find out the class sizes at all of schools you are looking at. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for many people online training can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be driven aside while students carry on their training and online classes provide a bit of flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you might like to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are considering. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in Weston, WI
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Pursue a Rewarding Career in a Field That Helps Individuals Better Their Lives With a Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Degree Emphases: General Psychology, Performance & Sport Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more.
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced through class discussions and a capstone project.
- Prepare for a variety of career opportunities while studying human behavior and thought through GCU's psychology programs.
- Whether you are a full-time student or working professional, Grand Canyon University offers the flexibility you need to earn a psychology degree.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Health Psychology - MA in Psychology
- Health Psychology - C.A.G.S. in Psychology
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is approximately two years, with the first year consisting of mainly class-room teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on instruction in a medical facility or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is administrated by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. While each State is different, there are a number of requirements that are common among most of them and can include the following.
Someone trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license as long as a written affidavit is submitted to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include quite a few forms to submit. Do not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many trustworthy websites. It is important to take a very extensive look through the forms before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs that could be very different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient clinic with children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age patient with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have several instances of moving patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Weston, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Weston, WI reviewed by Stella SPENCER on June 11.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.