As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in White River Junction, VT, you will quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to pursue a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly which makes it amongst the highest paying health care careers that does not require a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in White River Junction, VT
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time just about 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in to choose a training program, it is very important to examine all of your alternatives and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be assured you will be taught the full variety of skills necessary to be a qualified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on numerous types of conditions and disorders so it is essential that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another significant variable to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you actually interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools allocate substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending large amounts of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Something else to think about is the class size. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Nevertheless, for some online training courses can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family members are sometimes driven aside while students pursue their education and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you might want to take a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the training programs you are considering. Always find out how many people graduate from the program, what their opinions were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Recommended Occupational Therapy Schools in White River Junction, VT
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Marriage and Family Therapy
- And more...
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
As a community of initiative, University of the Southwest challenges graduates to become enterprising members of our society contributing to the common good by advocating and participating in the productive commerce of free enterprise, the constitutional privilege of self-government, and the practical contributions of community service.
- MSE Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is roughly 2 years, with the first year being predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent working on hands on instruction in a hospital or private medical practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical jargon, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees a few years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those wanting to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and several run by the State exclusively. In VT, licensing is handled by the Vermont Occupational Therapy Advisors. Even though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
An individual seeking an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and needs to have taken and passed applicable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider approving an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be reviewed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will include quite a few forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many reputable web sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs that could be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be working for an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up-to-date techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be numerous instances of transferring patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near White River Junction, VT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in White River Junction, VT reviewed by Robert RIVERA on June 6.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapy Assistant.