As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Wickliffe, OH, you can expect to quickly learn that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs in this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is greater than $53,000 annually which makes it amongst the highest paying health care jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wickliffe, OH
The first step toward a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are currently nearly two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and choose a training program, you will need to examine all of the options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that matches all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured you will learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health problems and disorders therefore it is important that your course work is very extensive rather then too focused on a particular discipline.
Another significant component you must consider is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools apply substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to others. In situations where your training program is not devoting a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of your class can vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for every student. Yet, for some online classes can alleviate a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently pushed aside while students pursue their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy life.
The final item you might want to take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Be sure to find out how many students graduate from the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone on to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Wickliffe, OH
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Psychology Degree Online From Grand Canyon University
- Emphases: General Psychology, Forensic Psychology, Geropsychology, Life Coaching and more
- Discover how each person’s cognitive thinking is formed & influenced
- Study human behavior and thought
- Flexibility for full-time students or working professionals
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Baker College is the largest independent college in Michigan with the most focused approach to education and training available.
- Our mission is to prepare you for meaningful employment. We’re proud to have a 97 percent employment rate among our available graduates.
- In addition, all our graduates receive Lifetime Employment Assistance—free and forever.Discover how Baker College can help you prepare for a great career.
- Schedule a visit or request more information to get started.
- Occupational Therapy - MOT (Master's)
- Physical Therapist Assistant - Associate
- Therapeutic Massage - Associate
- And more...
Divine Mercy University (DMU) is a Catholic graduate school of psychology and counseling, founded in 1999 as the Institute for the Psychological Sciences. The University is dedicated to the scientific study of psychology with a Catholic understanding of the person, marriage and the family. The University offers Master of Science (M.S.) and Doctoral (Psy.D.) degrees in Clinical Psychology, a Master of Science (M.S.) degree in Psychology and a Master of Science (M.S.) in Clinical Mental Health Counseling.
- Psy.D. in Clinical Psychology
- M.S. in Counseling
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is approximately 2 years, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on instruction in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started on their careers have to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Ohio, licensing is administered by the Ohio Occupational Therapy Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainers Board. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
Any person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package which will include a number of forms to submit. You should not spend money on these forms from a third party since they can be found online from many trusted websites. It is advised to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will want you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients that have needs that could be different than from the previous patient. You may be working in an outpatient clinic with toddlers who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a variety of job skills, some of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and implementing and employing the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, because you will have many instances of shifting patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Wickliffe, OH that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wickliffe, OH reviewed by Zoey GOMEZ on June 7.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an OTA.