Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Willimantic, CT, you are going to quickly see that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs in this field to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant salary is greater than $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical professions that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Willimantic, CT
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are presently almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to jump in and decide on a training program, make sure that you evaluate all of your options and make sure you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Details You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be certain that you will learn about the full variety of techniques required to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very extensive and not too concentrated on one particular area of specialization.
Another very important variable you should think about is the clinical learning experience. This is the practical training, and this is where you are going to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual clinical training compared to other schools. In instances where your training program is not devoting large amounts of time with clinical training, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class may vary significantly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at the schools you are considering. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one teaching that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. Yet, for many people online classes can relieve several of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes provide some flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you might want to examine before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapists.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Willimantic, CT
- Want to explore human action and interaction? A psychology degree from GCU may be for you!
- Bachelor's and master's degrees offered conveniently online and on campus to fit your needs.
- Choose from a variety of program focuses at the bachelor's or master's level.
- Examine how personality and cognitive thinking is formed, developed and influenced.
- Science-based core curriculum that guides your knowledge of human behavior.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Globaldelivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly two years, with the first year being mainly classroom instruction and with the second year spent doing hands on learning in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure simply call for a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees some time later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers need to become licensed as an OTA. Every State has its own rules and regulations which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Connecticut, licensing is controlled by the Connecticut Department of Public Health Occupational Therapy Licensure. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate must be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed appropriate college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always immediate grounds for dismissal. A handful of States may consider processing an occupational therapist license in a case where a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the transgression may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet that will include many forms to complete. You should not pay for these forms from a third party because they can be accessed online from many reputable sites. It is important to take a very detailed look through the forms before trying to complete them. It will have official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients that have needs which may be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You might be employed in an outpatient clinic with small children that happen to have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has a large number of job skills, a few of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the freshest techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should also be reasonably physically fit, as there will be plenty of instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Willimantic, CT that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Willimantic, CT reviewed by Oliver BROOKS on June 5.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an OTA.