Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Winder, GA, you will quickly find that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs within this field to grow by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant pay is over $53,000 yearly which makes it one of the highest paying medical-related careers that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Winder, GA
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to decide on a school, be sure that you examine all of your alternatives to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your preferences.
Items You Must Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured that you are going to be taught the full variety of skills required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of health conditions and disorders making it really important that your schooling is very wide-ranging instead of too focused on a particular area of specialization.
Another significant feature you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, it is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools designate substantially more time on your actual laboratory experience as compared to others. In instances where your training program is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class size. The size of your class can vary greatly from college to college. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for each individual student. However, for many people online classes can alleviate several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be pushed aside as students undertake their education and learning and online classes can offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final issue you ought to look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the schools you are evaluating. Make sure to find out how many trainees complete the program, what their reviews were, and how many of them have gone on to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Winder, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Why Earn Your Degree from GCU?
- Options: Choose from a variety of undergraduate and graduate degree programs in Business, Nursing, Psychology, Education & more!
- Convenience: Complete courses online, on campus, or a combination of both!
- Earlier Graduation: Our 4-credit courses allow you to complete your degree program in less time.
- Transfer Friendly: We will request your transcripts, evaluate your graduate coursework, and determine your anticipated graduation date within 24 hours.
- Quality: Grand Canyon University was founded in 1949 and is regionally accredited. Learn more today!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on training in a hospital facility or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree will be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that almost all Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
A person trying to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. A few States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the crime may be evaluated and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure kit which will include many forms to fill out. Do not purchase these forms from a third party because they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is advised to take a very extensive look through the paper work before attempting to complete them. It will have official transcripts needed; notarized signatures and many States will need you to turn in a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Workplace for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a range of patients that have needs that will be different in comparison to the previous patient. You may be working for an outpatient clinic with small children who have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and using the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA should be reasonably physically fit, as you will encounter numerous instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Winder, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Winder, GA reviewed by Olivia SULLIVAN on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to find more info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.