After you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Winner, SD, you can expect to quickly find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equates to over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is greater than $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying health care vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Winner, SD
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently approximately 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and choose a training program, make sure you examine all of your options and make certain you find an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your needs.
Items You Must Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you are going to be taught the full range of skills necessary to be a competent OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on an array of health conditions and disorders making it crucial that your course work is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another significant feature to take under consideration is the clinical training experience. This is the practical training, it is when you will interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply considerably more time on your actual practical experience when compared to the others. In situations where your training program is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to also consider is the class sizes. The size of the classes may vary greatly from school to school. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one time you will get with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online training can relieve a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and family are oftentimes pushed aside while students continue their education and learning and online classes may offer a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you might want to check out before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are looking at. Be sure you find out how many trainees complete the program, what their assessments were, and just how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Winner, SD
- Which career path will you take – Business, Nursing, Education, Psychology? Something else? GCU offers more than 100 majors to get you started!
- Colangelo College of Business: Features more than 25 programs from the bachelor through the master's level, including several high-demand MBA programs and an accelerated accounting degree.
- College of Nursing and Health Care Professions: Rich 25-year history providing outstanding health care and nursing degree programs, including an RN to BSN program & master's in nursing degrees.
- College of Education: Whether you are looking to start or advance your career as a teacher or administrator, GCU offers bachelor’s and master’s in education degrees in key areas.
- College of Humanities and Social Sciences: Provides a job focused education and features a variety of programs from counseling and psychology to justice studies, history and English literature.
- Does something else interest you? GCU also offers programs in Doctoral Studies; Theology; Science, Engineering & Technology; and Fine Arts & Production. Speak with an enrollment counselor today!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology program helps students prepare for careers in counseling, marketing/sales, human services, ministry, and more.
- The School of Psychology & Counseling received a 95% match rate for 4th year Psy.D. student internships in 2015.
- Programmatic accreditation for psychology programs is provided by the American Psychological Association (APA).
- Regionally accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges (SACSCOC).
- Master of Arts in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- M.A. in Human Services - Addictions Counseling
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Master of Arts in Counseling - Clinical Mental Health
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of predominantly classroom teaching and with the second year spent going through hands on training in a medical center or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terms, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is going to be required if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers need to become certified as an occupational therapist assistant. Every State has its own guidelines and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with some being private and some run by the State exclusively. In SD, licensing is handled by the South Dakota Occupational Therapy Committee. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not necessarily immediate grounds for dismissal. Some States may consider approving an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time and nature of the offense may be evaluated and be considered to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure packet which will include quite a few forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many reputable websites. It is recommended to take a very in depth look through the forms before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts necessary; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients who have needs which are often very different than from the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with young children who may have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab center working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be reasonably physically fit, because there will be many instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Winner, SD that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Winner, SD reviewed by Allison DIXON on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get a lot of info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an OTA.