Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Winter Garden, FL, you are going to soon see that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics is expecting jobs within this field to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 per year making it one of the highest paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Winter Garden, FL
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you decide to dive in and decide on a school, it is important to think about all of the options and make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that matches all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Selecting an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you can be confident that you will be taught the full range of techniques needed to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide array of health concerns and disorders so it is crucial that your course work is very wide-ranging instead of too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another important feature you should consider is the clinical training experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is where you actually interact with real patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to others. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical teaching, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of the classes will vary significantly from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are looking at. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online may not work for every student. Yet, for many people online training can ease several of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household are frequently driven aside while students pursue their schooling and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final item you might like to consider before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are looking at. Make sure that you find out how many students finish the program, what their comments were, and just how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Winter Garden, FL
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Founded in 1949 as a private, accredited, nondenominational Christian university located in Phoenix, Arizona.
- Its student-faculty ratio is 16:1 and 33.9% of its classes have fewer than 20 students.
- Encourages students to find their purpose in Christ, with an emphasis on applying Christian values and ethics to the workplace.
- Provides Student Success Webinars where tutors provide tips and tricks to help make college a little easier.
- Offers programs in business, psychology, theology, engineering, communications, and more.
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Community Mental Health Administration
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Family Dynamics
- And more...
Building on Purdue's mission to provide greater access to affordable, world-class education, Purdue University Global delivers a fully personalized online experience that's tailored to working adults. By opening the doors to adults who need flexibility to fit learning into their busy lives, we make it possible to achieve a high-quality education from a prestigious university system—completely online.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately 24 months, with the first year consisting of primarily classroom teaching and with the second year spent carrying out hands on lessons in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will likely need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and obtained their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to start their careers need to become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own rules and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is handled by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Though each State is different, there are a number of requirements which are common among many of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, needs to have a social security number and is required to have taken and passed appropriate college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is filed to clarify the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time and nature of the transgression may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Every State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain many forms to fill out. Do not spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will need you to include a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with an assortment of patients which have needs that will be very different compared to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with toddlers that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Though an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be relatively physically fit, since there will be several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes to fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Winter Garden, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Winter Garden, FL reviewed by Melanie SNYDER on June 4.
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to get more info about the OTA schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.