Once you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Wisconsin Rapids, WI, you are going to soon find that there has never been a better time to go after a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it right there with the highest paying medical-related jobs that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wisconsin Rapids, WI
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and almost all of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you jump in and decide on a training program, make sure that you analyze all of your alternatives to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that fulfills all your preferences.
Things You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be certain you will be taught the full range of skills necessary to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on an array of ailments and disorders making it really important that your course work is very diversified instead of too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important component you should look at is the clinical learning experience. This is your practical training, it is when you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools designate significantly more time on your actual practical training compared to others. In cases where your training program is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class size. The size of your class will vary considerably from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at all the schools you are researching. Keep in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with the instructors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Yet, for many of us online classes can alleviate some of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and loved ones are frequently driven aside while students undertake their training and online classes provide a little flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final detail you need to look into before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the schools you are looking at. Make sure you find out how many people complete the program, what their evaluations were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Wisconsin Rapids, WI
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- eLearners.com Helps You Find the Right College within Minutes.
- Get Matched to the Perfect Psychology Degree Programs From Top Colleges Here.
- Learn at Your Own Pace and Get Qualified to Pursue a Career You Will Love.
- Answer a Few Questions and You Are One Step Closer to Enroll in a Top College!
Cortiva Institute School of Massage Therapy's innovative program will help you learn the art of massage therapy and introduce you to a range of career opportunities. Through a holistic approach to education, you'll be well-trained to work in clinics, hospitals, health clubs, spas, with sport teams, or to start a private practice.
Classes start November 13!
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of predominantly class-room training and with the second year spent doing hands on lessons in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will have to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, health care jargon, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure only require a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but the truth is you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started with their careers will need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own rules and specifications that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Wisconsin, licensing is handled by the Bureau of Health Professions Department of Regulation and Licensing. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant license will have to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed acceptable college course work in addition to having taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , although convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license as long as a written affidavit is turned in to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to approve licensure .
Every State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package that will contain several forms to submit. You should not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trustworthy sites. It is recommended to take a very comprehensive look through the forms before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will require you to include a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with many different patients who have needs which are often completely different the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with children that have food or texture aversions or maybe a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age woman with psychological struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant has many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most up to date techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA should be somewhat physically fit, since you will have several instances of transferring patients around, for example from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes to visit the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Wisconsin Rapids, WI that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Wisconsin Rapids, WI reviewed by Ryder HAYES on June 3.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find great info about the various schools in my area and chose one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.