As you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Woodstock, GA, you should quickly learn that there has never been a better time for you to undertake a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs in this field to grow by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this means over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year which makes it amongst the best paying medical-related vocations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Woodstock, GA
The initial step towards a career as an OTA is determining the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at this time almost 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in to choose a training program, make sure you consider all of your options to make sure you find an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your preferences.
Items You Should Consider When Deciding On an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you will be reassured you will be taught the full variety of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of conditions and disorders so it is essential that your training is very diverse rather then too dedicated to a particular discipline.
Another really important component you must consider is the clinical learning experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you will interact with actual patients and put your abilities to use. Some schools apply significantly more time on your actual laboratory training when compared to the others. In situations where your school is not investing a considerable amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Something else to look into is the class size. The size of may vary considerably from college to college. Make an effort to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the class size , the more one-on-one teaching you will get with the professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for every student. However, for many people online training courses can ease a few of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household tend to be driven aside as students pursue their training and online classes may offer some flexibility to a busy schedule.
The final thing you want to have a look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the colleges you are evaluating. Make certain you find out how many trainees finish the program, what their assessments were, and exactly how many of them have gone to careers as OTA’s.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Woodstock, GA
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Liberty University provides a worldclass education from a christ-centered worldview
- 100% online programs at associate, bachelor’s, master’s, and doctoral levels
- No standardized testing if student meets admission requirements
- Accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- 95% of Liberty University students receive some form of financial aid
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Bachelor of Arts in Substance Abuse Counseling
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
What to Expect in OTA School
Typically the course work is approximately two years, with the first year being mostly class-room instruction and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital or private care practice. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, clinical terminology, and physical therapy. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be necessary if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that most Occupational Therapist started their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those ready to get started with their careers will need to become licensed as an OTA. Each State has its own policies and regulations that will be governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private while others are run by the State exclusively. In Georgia, licensing is controlled by the Georgia State Board of Occupational Therapy. While each State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is filed to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time period and nature of the criminal offense may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensure package which will include numerous forms to complete. Do not purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many reputable sites. It is recommended to take a very thorough look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts required; notarized signatures and many States will need you to submit a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Work Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with an assortment of patients that have needs that could be very different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with children that have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation facility working with a middle age patient with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses many job skills, a couple of the basics such as following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and implementing and applying the available technologies are the most important. Finally, a COTA must also be somewhat physically fit, since there will be several instances of shifting patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Woodstock, GA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Woodstock, GA reviewed by Ava WALLACE on June 17.
Terrific Source of Info
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to work as an Occupational Therapist.