As you begin your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Yucca Valley, CA, you will probably quickly see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics anticipates jobs within this industry to increase by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this equals over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The better news is that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant income is over $53,000 yearly which makes it among the highest paying healthcare occupations that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Yucca Valley, CA
The initial step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the best Occupational Therapy School. There are presently nearly 200 accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and nearly all the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, you will need to evaluate all of your options to make sure you locate an Occupational Therapy training program that suits all your requirements.
Items You Should Consider When Picking an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is recommended because you will be reassured that you are going to learn about the full variety of skills needed to be a knowledgeable OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on a wide variety of issues and disorders so it is really important that your course work is very extensive rather then too concentrated on one particular discipline.
Another very important variable you should look at is the clinical training experience. This is your practical training, and this is where you are able to interact with real patients and put your skills to use. Some schools commit significantly more time on your actual laboratory training in comparison to other training programs. In situations where your training program is not devoting a large amount of time with clinical training, make sure to find out why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary considerably from college to college. Make sure you find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Bear in mind, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your trainers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. However, for some people online training courses can ease some of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and family will often be driven aside as students continue their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last thing you ought to look at before choosing an Occupational Therapy School is the rate of the schools you are looking at. Always find out how many students complete the program, what their reviews were, and exactly how many of them have gone to become OTA’s.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Yucca Valley, CA
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Alcohol & Drug Counseling Studies
The Chicago School is a not-for-profit, regionally accredited institution with more than 4285 students at campuses across the country and online. TCSPP has been an innovator in the field of psychology and related behavioral science for more than 30 years.
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
Back to School Scholarship Available to All New Students Until October 22nd.
Since 1996, Southern California Health Institute has been dedicated and committed to helping students achieve their dreams by providing an exceptional education that enables them to become skilled and successful manual therapists. We have graduated over 1,500 students who are now a part of a larger community of wellness and healthcare.
- Physical Therapy Aide/Sports Rehab Program
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
Recognized by the U.S. News and World Report for: Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s 2017, Best Online Programs, Grad Education 2017 and Best Online Programs, Bachelor’s for Veterans 2017
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Master of Science) - Online
- Rehabilitation Sciences (Certificate) - Online
- Sports Counseling (Certificate) - Online
- Education Connection is a 100% Free College Matching Service used by 50,000 People Daily.
- Get Matched to Psychology, Counseling, Human Services, Organizational, and Clinical Psychology Degree Programs and MORE.
- View Bachelor's, Master's, Doctorate and Graduate Certificate Degree Programs in Psychology and Human Services Near YOU!
- Accredited and Flexible Psychology Degree Programs to Fit Your Time and Budget. Use Our Matching Service - It's Easy and FREE!
At NHI you will receive hands-on training through our teaching clinic from dedicated instructors with a combined 530 years of experience as well as classroom instruction and business marketing classes. We offer daytime, evening and weekend classes to accommodate your busy schedule. It is our goal to see you learn and embrace the material and go on to have a successful career you love. Financial aid is available to those who qualify. So why wait?
What to Expect in OTA School
Normally the course work is about 2 years, with the first year consisting of mainly classroom teaching and with the second year spent doing hands on training in a hospital or private medical office. Some of the course work a student will need to take includes pediatrics, gerontology, medical terms, and physical rehabilitation. All States that require licensure just call for a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is required if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and achieved their Bachelor’s Degrees a couple of years later.
Following graduation, those wanting to get started on their careers need to become certified as an OTA. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with a few being private and some run by the State exclusively. In California, licensing is controlled by the California Board of Occupational Therapy. While every State is different, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among most of them and can include the following.
Any person attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and is required to have taken and completed applicable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not necessarily automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapy license if a written affidavit is turned in to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Additional factors including time and nature of the transgression may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will provide an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing package that will contain several forms to submit. Never spend money on these forms from a third party as they can be accessed online from many trustworthy sites. It is important to take a very thorough look through the forms before trying to complete them. You might have official transcripts required; notarized signatures and several States will ask you to submit a fingerprint card which may be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA works with a variety of patients that have needs which may be totally different the previous patient. You could be working for an outpatient facility with small children who have food or texture aversions or perhaps a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age woman with psychological and mental struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses numerous job skills, some of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the most recent techniques and learning and using the available technology are extremely important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be reasonably physically fit, as you will have plenty of instances of shifting patients around, including from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this looks like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of schools near Yucca Valley, CA that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Yucca Valley, CA reviewed by Elijah JACKSON on June 16.
Very Helpful Site
Thank You for creating such an informative website. I was able to find a lot of info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.