Once you commence your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Zanesville, OH, you will probably soon see that there has never been a better time for you to go after a career as an OTA. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics predicts jobs in this particular field to increase by 43% over the 10 year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the average Occupational Therapy Assistant earnings is greater than $53,000 per year which makes it one of the highest paying medical careers that does not require a Bachelor’s Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Zanesville, OH
The first step toward a career as an OTA is choosing the best Occupational Therapy Training Program. There are at this time almost two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the US and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, make sure you think about all of the options to make certain you locate an Occupational Therapy school that satisfies all your requirements.
Details You Should Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is essential because you will be assured that you are going to be taught the full range of competencies required to be a certified OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants work with patients on a wide variety of health problems and disorders therefore it is crucial that your schooling is very diversified instead of too dedicated to one particular area of specialization.
Another really important feature to take under consideration is the clinical learning experience. This is your hands-on training, and this is when you are able to interact with actual patients and put your skills to use. Some schools dedicate significantly more time on your actual laboratory experience when compared to other training programs. In situations where your school is not spending a considerable amount of time with clinical instructing, make sure to ask why.
Another thing to look into is the class sizes. The size of the classes can vary significantly from school to school. Be sure to find out the class sizes at the schools you are looking at. Remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction you will get with your teachers.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online might not work for each individual student. Nevertheless, for some people online training can ease many of the burdens of being a full time student. Jobs and household tend to be pushed aside as students continue their training and online classes can offer a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The last issue you should consider prior to selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the graduation rate of the colleges you are considering. Be sure to find out how many students finish the program, what their assessments were, and how many of them have gone on to become Occupational Therapy Assistants.
Suggested Occupational Therapy Schools in Zanesville, OH
- Fortis offers nursing programs including ADN, PN, BSN degrees, and more
- 40+ schools in 15 states including Florida, Arizona, Ohio, and Virginia
- All colleges are accredited by ABHES, ACCSC, ACICS, or other accrediting bodies
- Fortis Online serves benefits to US military service members
- Grants & scholarship aid may be available for qualifying students
- Associate of Occupational Science Degree in Management
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Does psychology interest you? See if Grand Canyon University could be a good fit for your journey in discovering the human mind!
- GCU offers a Bachelor of Science in Psychology and a Master of Science in Psychology with an emphasis in either General Psychology or Industrial & Organizational Psychology.
- The College of Humanities and Social Sciences at GCU provides a job focused education, blending the study of traditional humanities in a modern context.
- GCU offers a variety of learning options, including: traditional degree programs offered at our main campus, online degrees, or evening classes meeting once a week at various locations.
- Founded in 1949, GCU is a regionally accredited, private Christian university and is recognized as offering some of the best online education programs in the nation.
- Request information and learn more about our program offerings, start dates, financial aid and more!
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Christian Counseling
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Childhood and Adolescence Disorders
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling with an Emphasis in Trauma
- And more...
- Ranked among the Best Online Bachelor's Programs in 2015 by U.S. News and World Report.
- Lets undergrad students try classes before paying any tuition.
- Has an average class sizes of 18 for undergraduate and 13 for graduate-level courses.
- Offers numerous scholarship opportunities that can help students save up to $750 per term on their tuition.
- Tends to educate degree-seeking online and campus-based students who are adult learners with families and students who work while pursuing higher education.
- MS in Psychology - Addictions
- Northcentral University was founded in 1996 to provide working professionals around the world with unprecedented access to richly engaging, professionally relevant, and academically-rigorous education from a U.S. university.
- As a regionally accredited, private, online and graduate-focused university, NCU offers doctoral, master’s and bachelor’s degrees in business, technology management, education, and psychology, as well as doctoral and master’s degrees in marriage and family therapy.
- Health Psychology - PhD of Psychology
- Master of Science in Health Psychology
What to Expect in OTA School
Generally the course work is about two years, with the first year consisting of primarily class-room training and with the second year spent carrying out hands on instruction in a hospital facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will want to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, medical terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure only require a two year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree is needed if you intend on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, but you will find that the majority of Occupational Therapist launched their careers as Assistants and received their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Licensing Information and Facts
Following graduation, those prepared to start their careers will have to become certified as an OTA. Every State has its own policies and regulations that are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Ohio, licensing is administered by the Ohio Occupational Therapy Physical Therapy and Athletic Trainers Board. Even though every State is unique, there are a number of requirements which are common among most of them and include the following.
An individual attempting to get an occupational therapy assistant certificate has to be a U.S. citizen, must have a social security number and must have taken and passed acceptable college course work and also taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Each State requires a federal background check , but convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Certain States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is filed to describe the circumstances of the conviction. Other factors including time frame and nature of the criminal offense may be examined and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet that will include several forms to submit. Do not buy these forms from a third party since they can be accessed online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There may be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to complete a fingerprint card that can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with many different patients who may have needs which may be different compared to the previous patient. You could be working in an outpatient facility with kids that have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehab facility working with a middle age man with psychological and mental struggles . Although an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics including following direction, keeping up to date with the latest techniques and learning and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA should also be somewhat physically fit, because there will be many instances of moving patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like a career your interested in, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Zanesville, OH that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant classes. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Zanesville, OH reviewed by Tex LEWIS on June 7.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the OTA schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my classes and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapy Assistant.