Once you start your search for Occupational therapy Assistant schools in Zephyrhills, FL, you should quickly see that there has never been a better time to pursue a career as an Occupational Therapy Assistant. The U.S. Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics expects jobs within this industry to expand by 43% over the ten year period 2010-2020, this is over 12,000 new Occupational Therapy Assistant jobs! The even better news is the fact that the median Occupational Therapy Assistant wage is over $53,000 per year making it amongst the best paying medical jobs that does not call for a Four Year Degree.
Occupational Therapy Schools in Zephyrhills, FL
The first step toward a career as an OTA is selecting the right Occupational Therapy Program. There are at the moment just about two hundred accredited occupational therapy schools in the United States and Puerto Rico and most of the schools accredited by the Accreditation Council for Occupational Therapy Education (ACOTE) offer Occupational Therapist Assistant degrees and Master’s Degrees, with many also offering Doctoral degrees. Before you dive in and select a school, you might want to evaluate all of your options to make sure you choose an Occupational Therapy school that meets all your preferences.
Details You Must Consider When Choosing an Occupational Therapy School
Accreditation by the ACOTE is important because you can be reassured that you will be taught the full array of skills needed to be an effective OTA.
Occupational Therapy Assistants assist patients on numerous types of issues and disorders so it is important that your course work is very diversified and not too focused on one particular discipline.
Another very important feature you should look at is the clinical education experience. This is the hands-on training, it is where you are going to interact with real patients and put your knowledge to use. Some schools commit substantially more time on your actual clinical experience in comparison to others. In instances where your school is not investing a large amount of time with clinical training, be sure that you find out why.
Another thing to think about is the class sizes. The size of can vary considerably from school to school. Make sure to find out the class sizes at all of schools you are researching. Try to remember, the smaller the classes , the more one-on-one instruction that you receive with your professors.
Taking Occupational Therapy Classes Online do not work for each individual student. However, for some online training can alleviate many of the burdens of being a full time student. Work and household tend to be pushed aside while students undertake their education and learning and online classes can provide a bit of flexibility to a busy life.
The final factor you should take a look at before selecting an Occupational Therapy School is the success rate of the training programs you are evaluating. Make sure you find out how many people finish the program, what their opinions were, and just how many of them have gone to become Occupational Therapists.
Featured Occupational Therapy Schools in Zephyrhills, FL
Since 1977, Keiser University has maintained a practical, hands-on approach to career-focused education to help our students achieve their personal and professional goals. Our student-centered approach remains at the foundation of the Keiser University mission and continues to attract students who prefer a more personal learning experience.
- Associate of Science in Occupational Therapy Assistant
- Does the Human Mind Fascinate You? Study Psychology! Choose Your Degree:
- Bachelor of Science in Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in General Psychology
- Master of Science in Psychology with an Emphasis in Industrial and Organizational Psychology
- Convenient online program options available for the master's and bachelor's degree.
- Speak to an enrollment counselor today and find the degree that is right for you!
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Prevention
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with Emphasis in Grief and Bereavement
- M.S. in Mental Health and Wellness with an Emphasis in Christian Ministry
- And more...
- Impact your world with a degree from Walden. Start today!
- Walden degree and certificate programs are designed for working professionals. Click for more information.
- Receive personal attention from advisors in enrollment, financial aid, academics, and other support services to make the most of your online program.
- Study worry-free knowing you have 24/7 access to Walden technical support.
- Convenient start dates throughout the year
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Military Families & Culture
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling (CACREP-Accredited)-General Program
- M.S. in Clinical Mental Health Counseling - Career Counseling
- And more...
- Designated a 2015 Military Friendly School by Victory Media for the 4th consecutive year.
- Listed on the President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2013, for the sixth consecutive year
- Links students to hundreds of training opportunities (beyond their traditional internships and practicum) at their many “partner agencies” in each of their local communities.
- Accredited by the WASC Senior College and University Commission (WUSCUC).
- M.A. Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Mental Health Technology
100% Online & No Standardized Testing
We are committed to helping you achieve your goals and complete your degree as quickly as possible.
- Doctor of Education: Community Care & Counseling: Marriage & Family
- Doctor of Philosophy: Counselor Education and Supervision
- MA in Professional Counseling - 60 Hour
- And more...
- Interested in Changing the Lives of Patients and People with Each New Discussion? Get Educated in the Psychology Field.
- Build the Capabilities and Connections to Power Your Future.
- Psychology, Human Services, Social Work Degree Programs and More From Top Colleges that Fit Your Needs.
- Find Schools Online or Near You & Get Info for FREE Today!
Prepare for a Career in Massage Therapy, Makeup Artistry, or Skin Care!
Do you want a career that offers the satisfaction of helping people and a work environment that is positive and exciting? Consider a career in massage therapy, makeup artistry, or skin care.
Classes start November 13!
Fortis Institute can give you the skills you need to train for a career in the healthcare field.
* Programs vary by location
* Please contact each individual campus for accreditation information
What to Expect in OTA School
In most cases the course work is roughly 24 months, with the first year being primarily class-room training and with the second year spent going through hands on learning in a healthcare facility or private care office. Some of the course work a student will be required to take involves pediatrics, gerontology, health care terminology, and physical rehab. All States that require licensure just want a 2 year degree. A Bachelor’s Degree shall be needed if you plan on becoming a full Occupational Therapist, however you will find that a majority of Occupational Therapist began their careers as Assistants and earned their Bachelor’s Degrees several years later.
Following graduation, those prepared to get started on their careers must become licensed as an occupational therapist assistant. Each State has its own guidelines and specifications which are governed by an occupational therapy board, with many being private and some run by the State exclusively. In Florida, licensing is administered by the Florida Board of Occupational Therapy Practice. Although every State is unique, there are a number of requirements that happen to be common among the majority of them and include the following.
Any individual applying for an occupational therapy assistant license must be a U.S. citizen, will need to have a social security number and must have taken and completed acceptable college course work as well as taken and passed the NBCOT exam.
Every State requires a federal background check , however convictions are not always automatic grounds for dismissal. Several States may consider processing an occupational therapist license if a written affidavit is submitted to explain the circumstances of the conviction. Additional circumstances including time period and nature of the crime may be assessed and be taken into consideration to grant licensure .
Each State will have an Occupational Therapy Assistant licensing packet which will contain a number of forms to submit. Never purchase these forms from a third party as they can be found online from many trusted sites. It is important to take a very comprehensive look through the paper work before trying to complete them. There will be official transcripts wanted; notarized signatures and many States will ask you to turn in a fingerprint card which can be completed at a local police station.
Job Environment for Occupational Therapy Assistants
An OTA will work with a number of different patients who have needs that could be completely different in comparison to the previous patient. You could be employed in an outpatient clinic with kids that happen to have food or texture aversions or a hospital rehabilitation center working with a middle age man with emotional struggles . Even though an occupational therapy assistant possesses a large number of job skills, a couple of the basics like following direction, keeping up to date with the most updated techniques and implementing and applying the available technology are the most important. Finally, a COTA also needs to be somewhat physically fit, since you will encounter plenty of instances of transferring patients around, such as from a bed to a wheel chair.
If this sounds like the career for you, then take a few minutes and fill out the search form at the top of this page. You will be shown a list of training programs near Zephyrhills, FL that offer Occupational Therapy Assistant training. Request information from as many schools as you’d like, and good luck in your future career!
Occupational Therapy Schools in Zephyrhills, FL reviewed by Molly DUNCAN on June 4.
Thank You for sharing such an informative website. I was able to get great info about the various schools in my area and found one that worked for me. I’m now ready to start my training and can’t wait to become an Occupational Therapist.